Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Tree

Well, we finally put up our Christmas decorations (way late, we know) and tree yesterday. It doesn't have a ton of ornaments on it, but I figure that we can build our ornament collection over the years, we don't have to have everything now.

We decorated it last night and sure enough, the cats started playing with it right after we went to bed. Last year, they knocked the entire tree over while we were in California and Washington. Last night, though, as soon as we heard the tell-tale signs of the cats batting at the tree, Brandon shot out of bed. I heard alot of yelling and crying on the cats' part and some very stern "No's" on Brandon's part. Then he came back to bed and said, "Well, they won't be messing with the tree any more." I just laughed because I thought it was impossible to keep the cats away from the tree without locking them in the bathroom overnight, but sure enough, they didn't touch the tree once the entire rest of the night. They came and slept with us and are still in bed with Brandon (very unusual as they normally get up with whoever wakes up first, hoping to be fed) and nowhere near the Christmas tree.

Yesterday afternoon, I overheard Brandon's lecture to Huck (who was clawing our loveseat). It went something like this:

"Huck, you know you aren't allowed to do that. Now I have no choice but to punish you. It's for your own good, Huck, so you will learn obedience. I still love you." He then holds Huck in front of the loveseat, swats his butt a few times, and says "No" over and over again.

What a good discipliner my husband is! Now I get to be fun Mommy and he gets to be stern Daddy with the boys. J/K, I will discipline the boys too, although I'm sure I'll still be the favorite parent ;-)

Disclaimer: Yes, we know our cats probably can't understand everything we say to them, but we do know they understand their names and the word "No." Everything else is more of a joke amongst ourselves, he does it so I will laugh. Sometimes, to prove this point, Brandon will say in his sweetest baby-talk voice while petting and cuddling with the cats: "You're the stupidest cat in the world, Huck, yes you are. I don't even like you, the only reason you're still around is because your Mommy loves you so much." That never fails to make me laugh :-)

No comments: